Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sesame salmon and salsa

It's been over a month since my last posting and I've been feeling very guilty about that. It's not that I'm not trying new salmon recipes, it's just that I don't always remember to take a photo or I put off getting the recipe into the blog.
Naughty. But I hope this delicious recipe I actually tried nearly three weeks ago will make up it. No? Oh well, I tried.
This is a light dish with a colourful, crunchy salsa that I read about in the newspaper (love those food pages!). The recipe is from In The Kitchen with Anna
by Anna Olson and I've checked a few other recipes in this book and they look great.
Makes 6 servings.

Red pepper salsa:
12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained (I got mine from Ryan at The Markt on Rutherford Road. He makes his own and they are much better than most commercial brands.)
1 cup diced English cucumber
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Sesame salmon
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
6 salmon fillets, skin on, about 6 ounces (170 grams) each (three cheers for a record sockeye run.)

Salsa: Finely dice the roasted red peppers and toss with the cucumber, red
onion, rice wine vinegar and sugar in a bowl, and season lightly. Cover and
chill for 30 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and then stir in the
cilantro, mint and sesame oil. Season to taste and chill until ready to
serve.
For the salmon, preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Pour the sesame seeds
onto a plate and season lightly, stirring to mix. Heat a large, ovenproof
saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Dip the skinless side
of each salmon portion in the sesame seeds and place the this side down into
the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the salmon portions over.
Immediately place the pan in the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes (10 to
medium, 15 for well done.) Serve with the salsa on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment