Monday, August 2, 2010

Maple citrus salmon

I'm never sure when, how or why certain flavour profiles will occur in my mind and create a desire for that flavour. I'm practically one of Pavlov's pups and once the idea is there, it sticks, I drool and there's nothing to do but enjoy.
I once did up some salmon steaks for some friends with something resembling this recipe but it's a decade ago and I'm not sure where the idea came from.
Anyhow, those salmon steaks popped back into my mind and while this time I used noodles with them as we were out of rice (can you imagine!?!) and I hadn't yet bought some more quinoa (Which I'd originally intended to use), nonetheless it turned out fine and I was able to satisfy the craving for this blend of white wine, maple syrup and citrus that had been lingering on my taste buds.

Ingredients

1/4 cup maple syrup
4 cloves garlic, minced
Ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 half onion sliced thinly
Tbsp of lemon juice
3 tbsp of cream or milk
1 pound salmon fillets with skin on
Some oil for frying pan

Directions

If serving with rice, start the rice first as this dish doesn't take much time. If using noodles - say fettucini - begin at the same time by tossing a couple of handfuls into a pot of boiling water.
By the time your wine-syrup sauce has reduced, it will be time to strain your noodles.
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, wine, lemon juice, cayenne and black

pepper.
Lightly fry the salmon pieces over fairly high heat to get a bit of crispiness on each side ... less than a minute per side should do it.
Remove salmon and now fry your onions and garlic in the pan, turning the heat down to medium. When they start to go golden, pour in the wine-syrup mixture and cook for about 10 minutes to reduce the liquid down. After a couple of minutes add the cream or milk and whisk well to blend thoroughly. Put the salmon pieces back into the liquid and cook over low heat for a few minutes to heat through. Salmon should be flaky when done. When cooking salmon, less is more ... always.
Plate noodles or rice, place a piece of salmon on top and pour over some of the sauce.
This recipe will serve two for a hearty meal or three as a lighter dish, maybe with a side salad or green veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment