Tuesday, April 6, 2010

In the beginning

In a few days I'm hitting a birthday (56 if you must know) and a few months ago I suffered a what the doctors call a "cardiac event" (if there's no champagne or glitter, that is NOT an event).
Of course I'm making changes in lifestyle and one of those is to eat more fish.
It's not an easy thing to cut down on meat in a household of two raging carnivores (well, three if we count Don Pepe the cat), but we're making the effort.
The other night I re-watched Julie and Julia and thought, I should do something like that to focus my cooking energies since, after the first few sacred-to-death weeks after the Event, my zest for all the healthier cooking started to wear down. So I thought I'd maybe experiment by cooking salmon a different way each week which would stretch my boundaries a little rather than just plopping a fillet on the grille or in the oven. Tasty those may be, but variety would be more interesting and getting my lazy ass in gear every Sunday to make a new salmon dish would be - for me - a good culinary exercise.
Of course I mentioned this thought on Facebook and immediately got a bunch of suggestions from FB friends including that I blog this, share the recipes and the experiences.
Well I must be a glutton for punishment (as well as chocolate) because I figured why not?
For the next few days I will look at recipes - those online, in books, sent by friends, whatever - and I'll start this very Sunday (Happy Birthday) by making my first new salmon dish.
52 weeks, 52 new dishes ... should be fun. Julie & Julia it ain't but ... any book or movie deals will be gratefully accepted anyway.
Of course, I'm not really a Salmon Diva, but maybe a year from now, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment